Total Pageviews

Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Biopsies of biopsies: The results beget more results...

Well folks, it was quite an interesting dermatological day. First thing this morning I had an appointment to get the results from the 3 biopsies I had two weeks ago. Apparently, the cells and their structure were atypical enough to be of concern, so the lab wanted a larger and deeper sample from the two sites on my back. They need those tissues to determine exactly what is going on and how severe it is. We know it's not basal cell carcinoma, so the dermatologist told me they're looking for melanoma. Good to know.

Anyway, getting larger and deeper tissue samples means.... surprise! More stitches! Wow, in the past 6 weeks I've had 4 incisions in October, 3 in November and now 2 more (so far!) in December. Fun! The dermatologist used the punch method and removed 8mm deep of tissue to be sent off to the lab. So now I have 6 more stitches on two sites, and they were both bleeders too! It was pretty funny to have the bleeding issue again. He actually used a cauterizing tool to help stop it along with a pressure bandage. Thank God for local anesthesia, you know what I'm sayin'?

So the other thing Derma #5 laid on me today was the fact that he's moving to a practice in Mississauga. Man! I'm going through dermatologists like dirty shirts. So now he's handed me off to his colleague for my results and stitches removal in two weeks (Dec. 22nd - merry Christmas!).

Next up today was my appointment that was set waaaaay back in October with the dermatologist at the private clinic who took the lacklustre pictures of my skin (see here for a refresher on that episode). Today's appointment was supposed to be the review of those photos.

First of all, it took almost two months to get this appointment at the private clinic - and I paid to have those photos taken and for the meeting with the dermatologist today. So much for private health care, it sucks as much as the public kind in Canada! Second of all, he HAD NOT EVEN LOOKED at the photos. Great - so what did I pay you for? Third, when he saw that I had recent scars and bandages from this morning, he pretty much brushed me off. Wait a second buddy! I'm paying for your time! I managed to get him to look my skin over, and he only mentioned the lesion on my foot as something to keep an eye on. All in all, he spent at most 10 minutes with me - didn't ask me any health-related questions, hadn't reviewed my photos and pretty much rushed out the door. So much for Derma #6. Forget me going to see him again!

So, here I am with two fresh wounds, more biopsy results to wait for, and two more weeks of chemo to go over Christmas (starting Dec. 15th). I'm having to get to know a new dermatologist - again - and I don't even know if she's going to be any good. Oh well, I guess we're starting from scratch (no pun intended!)

Anyway, I'm not quite bummed but a wee bit frustrated. A bit of retail therapy after work did help, and now I'm off to eat popcorn and watch guilty TV. Tomorrow will be a better day!

2 comments:

  1. Ok - Poo on the clinic. How disappointing is that! Really... not even looked at the pics. Please.
    Just remember - You are not starting from scratch. You've come a long way in two months. Don't let it get you down. We're all here with you!!!
    xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry to hear about all the frustrating things. Is it possible for you to continue seeing the doc who is moving to Mississauga?

    D

    ReplyDelete